- #626GoldenStreets returns Sunday March 5, 2017! More info www.626goldenstreets.com
- The #SGVBikeChallenge will feature 12 rides touching 30 SGV communities in 2017. Explore the SGV and collect all the free, one-of-a-kind community stickers!
- Metro Bike Share expansion to Pasadena in summer 2017.
- Bike-Friendly Business Districts are coming to the Cities of Glendora and South Pasadena.
- An SGV Regional Greenway Plan and Active Transportation Plans for the Cities of Irwindale, La Puente, Montebello, and Glendora are slated for development later in the year.
- Grand Opening of the Jeff Seymour Family Center Bike Park and Campus! Tentatively scheduled for Sat April 8.
- Final design and planning of the Foothill Gold Line extension to Claremont, offering opportunities to engage on bicycle parking design and active transportation access to the new stations.
- New class I river bikeways in Glendora and Baldwin Park.
Your friends @BikeSGV
Women-on-Wheels "Bike BaBes and Brunch" Ride - Sun 1/15
Lunar New Year Bike Train - Sat 1/28
The first ride will be a special Lunar New Year Bike + Hike to the famous Hsi Lai Temple in Hacienda Heights to check out some of the new year festivities. No lock required (supervised racks will be provided by BikeSGV where the 0.5 mile hike begins to/from the Temple).
626 Golden Streets: Free Materials and SWAG
ICYMI, the SGV Open Streets extravaganza aka 626 Golden Streets is rapidly approaching on the one year anniversary of the Gold Line Extension grand opening, Sunday March, 5, 2017! Come out and explore 8 San Gabriel Valley communities via over 17 miles of car-free streets. You won't want to miss it, as there are currently no plans to repeat the event in the short-term.
626 Golden Streets flyers, posters, stickers, and even #GabeTheSasquatch Yard Signs are available free of charge for BikeSGV friends and supporters. Help Gabe keep the SGV great this March by getting the word out. Please contact Andrew@bikeSGV.org to request materials, or feel free to stop by our Bicycle Education Center to do so. Located at BikeSGV HQ at 10900 Mulhall St. in El Monte, the Center also has 626 tank tops ($15) and t-shirts ($20) on sale. All proceeds and donations support our community programs! For more information, or to inquire about what is in stock, please contact Program Coordinator Andrew Fung Yip (email).626 website: www.626goldenstreets.com
Learn-to-Bike Classes | 2017 Schedule
Don't know how to ride a bicycle, but want to learn? Know someone who'd like to learn? BikeSGV is hosting a series of FREE Learn-to-Bike classes through June 2017, including two this month: Saturday January 14 and 21 (9am-12pm)!
Don't own a bike?
No problem! A limited number of foldable bicycles thanks to program sponsor Dahon Bikes as well as full-size bikes from the San Gabriel Valley Bicycle Education Center are available for participants to check out at no charge. If you register, you are guaranteed a bike. All upcoming classes will be hosted at the Jeff Seymour Family Center on 10900 Mulhall St. in El Monte.
More info, register here.
Questions: Contact Catalina Gonzalez
City Cycling and Bike Repair Classes
Want to feel more comfortable riding on city streets? Learn more about the rules of the road? Or how to set up your bike to commute to work/school?
BikeSGV's City Cycling course is broken into 3 parts to help you gain more confidence on your bike:
- In-class presentation on the rules of the road while on a bicycle and useful equipment;
- On-bike drills away from cars to improve bicycle handling and safety maneuvers; and
- A short group ride to put skills covered into use on City streets.
Basic Bicycle Maintenance Classes
Do you know the basics to keep you bike rolling? Whether you are looking to get back on the bike for fitness, commuting, or just to be able to spend a nice weekend with family, this class is a great way to get your bike(s) back on the road. We'll teach you how to: perform an ABC Quick check,repair/replace a flat tire; adjust brakes; clean your bicycle; and acquire the tools needed to make simple repairs on the go.
Click here for upcoming dates
Jose Jimenez, BikeSGV Education Director
Jose@BikeSGV.org - (626) 566-8302
SGV Bicycle Education Center, Room 29
10900 Mulhall Street, El Monte, 91731
SGV Bike Park Work Day - Sun 1/22
Made possible via CalFire, REI, and SoCalGas grant funding, the green makeover project will host another public volunteer day Sunday 1/22 (9am-12pm). Partial shifts welcome, just be sure to wear comfortable clothes/shoes that you are ok getting dusty! Rain or wet conditions cancel (track cannot be used when wet)!
- What: SGV Bike Park Build Day #4 (El Monte)
- When: Sunday 1/22 (9am-12pm)
- Where: BikeSGV HQ, 10900 Mulhall St., El Monte 91731
- Why: Help build and test ride the SGV's first community bicycle park at the Jeff Seymour Family Center!
Volunteers Needed - Chinatown FireCracker Ride!
To volunteer, please contact email@example.com
Introducing BikeSGV Volunteer Memberships!
Volunteers are needed for all sorts of projects, from helping complete construction of the SGV Bike Park, participating with bicycle parking audits, supporting upcoming rides/events like 626 Golden Streets, and/or helping out at the Bike Ed Center. Questions/info, contact monica@bikeSGV.org