On Tuesday May 16th the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors will consider moving forward with the development of a San Gabriel Valley Greenway Network Strategic Implementation Plan.
Authored by Supervisors Hilda Solis and Kathryn Barger, the motion aims to accelerate and streamline years of community-level to transform existing, unused rights-of-way along County washes and storm channels into linear parks and walking/biking corridors.
You can support the development of a regional greenway network by attending Tuesday's meeting, submitting comments to the board (email here, template comments below), and sharing this info with friends and family (on social media please use this link and hashtag #SGVgreenways).
- WHAT: San Gabriel Valley Greenway Network Strategic Implementation Plan
- WHERE: Kenneth Hahn Hall of Administration, 500 W. Temple St., Los Angeles (Board Room 381B)
- WHEN: Tuesday May 16 (9:30am) -The motion is Agenda Item #7 (part of the Consent Calendar), so it should be heard relatively shortly after the 9:30am meeting start.
- Meeting agenda (5/16)
- Greenways Motion (Supervisors Solis, Barger)
Why SGV Greenways?
- Safety: Lack of safe streets or multi-use paths to ride along are one of the largest barriers to biking and walking in the San Gabriel Valley.
- Health and Wellness: Many communities in the central San Gabriel Valley are park-poor and suffer from high rates of diabetes, obesity, and other chronic illnesses associated with sedentary lifestyles. Developing a network of linear parks and paths along the region's watershed would be a long-term investment in the health of these communities and the region as a whole.
- Access: If realized, a regional network would connect residential neighborhoods to schools, workplaces, parks, and other points-of-interest.
- Regional Connectivity: The SGV has a unique opportunity to create a truly regional network by creating new connections to heavily-used, existing trails along the San Gabriel and Rio Hondo rivers.
- Fun: Getting out and exploring one of the most diverse regions in the United States by foot, bike or other mode is FUN! #SGVgreenways would help make this easier for people of all ages and abilities.
Sample Support Letter/Email
Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors
Kenneth Hahn Hall of Administration
500 W. Temple St.
Los Angeles, CA 90012
RE: Support for San Gabriel Valley Greenway Network Strategic Implementation Plan
As a resident of LA County who cares about the safety, health and wellness of our region, I am writing you today to support the development of a regional greenway network for the San Gabriel Valley and greater Los Angeles County.
Over the past three years the campaign for a 100+ mile San Gabriel Valley Regional Greenway Network has been endorsed by over two dozen local, regional, and state-level organizations. The development of a regional greenway system was included in the San Gabriel Valley Regional Bicycle Master Plan (2014), the Metro Active Transportation Strategic Plan (2016), and the San Gabriel Valley Council of Governments list of regional transportation priority projects (2015). As a local and sub-regional priority, local governments and the San Gabriel Valley Council of Governments have already set-aside over $231 million in sub-regional funding for San Gabriel Valley greenways in Measure M.
The proposed plan would build upon the successful, existing 17-mile network of Class I protected walking and biking paths along the Rio Hondo and San Gabriel Rivers by transforming existing rights-of-way along County flood control channels, washes and creeks into linear parks, connecting communities and neighborhoods across the San Gabriel Valley to the larger LA County bikeway system, and improving local connections to transit, jobs and schools.
The development of a such a network would be a true asset for the region, encouraging healthier, more active lifestyles by providing safe space for people of all ages and abilities to walk, bike, jog, run, skate, ride horses and more.
Please join me in pursuing this exciting opportunity!
City of Residence
Please submit emails here: firstname.lastname@example.org
List of Supporting Orgs
- American Heart Association Greater LA
- Amigos de los Rios
- Climate Resolve
- Day One
- Investing in Place
- Los Angeles County Bicycle Coalition
- Pasadena Complete Streets Coalition
- Rails to Trails
- San Gabriel Mountains Forever
- San Gabriel Valley Council of Governments